Financial Resolution for the New Year: Review Your Estate Plan
To help your estate plan stay in sync with changes in your family, finances, and the law, it is a good idea to review your estate documents (wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care proxies, and living wills) on a regular basis, as well as when major changes occur in your life.
- Read over the documents every year to see if you have changed your mind about any aspect of them.
- Arrange for a review with your estate planning professional if it has been a few years since your last review, if someone in your family has become disabled, or if there has been:
- A change in your marital status.
- A birth, death, or marriage in your family.
- A death of a guardian, executor, or trustee.
- A major change in your assets.